Push Present

by Michelle in ,

Recently I've been seeing blog posts and stories about pregnant women or women who recently gave birth, receiving a 'push present'.  I found this very interesting and decided to dig into this subject.  So, according to Wikipedia, it's a gift given by the new father to the new mother before or after she gives birth, or in the delivery room.  My main objective was to find out where and how this gift giving idea began.  Did pregnant moms of America start this or was this something that was done in other countries?  It seems that the tradition of giving a gift the commemorate the birth has long roots in England and India.  I wasn't surprised to read that in 2005, a jewelry chain in the US marketed diamond earrings with, "She delivered your first born, now give her twins." In 2007, a jewelry and gift store started a push present registry.  There's no evidence that the jewelry industry started the push present to generate more jewelry sales, but I'm sure they have enjoyed the boost in sales.  Linda Murray, executive editor of BabyCenter.com, was quoted saying, "It's more and more an expectation of moms these days that they deserve something for bearing the burden for nine months, getting sick, ruining their body.  The guilt really gets piled on." This doesn't surprise me, nor does the part of the article that states other sources have traced this push present to an increase of assertiveness in these pregnant women that they ask for this present directly, or make the dad-to-be more 'involved' by keeping them informed of the pain and difficulties during their pregnancy and labor.  This just floors me!  For the pregnant women that took out their frustrations on their husbands, did you give him a gift for all he went through?  In society, do we agree to do something and then demand a gift afterward?  As a mother to an almost two month old daughter, I knew what I was signing up for when my husband and I decided to start trying for a family.  For me, I had just lost 70 pounds, which got me to a weight where I felt healthier to begin trying for a baby.  When I reached my goal, I was pregnant within weeks.  I didn't get much time to enjoy my weight loss success and yes, I struggled with that at first.  During my pregnancy, I never got sick and for the most part, I hardly felt pregnant, even when baby girl was developing and making her presence known with my giant prego belly!  Also, this summer was a record hot year and yet I didn't complain.  I did end up on bed rest for the last month of my pregnancy and that didn't make me happy, but I had to trust that the doctor knew what was best for baby girl and I.  After pushing for about two and a half hours the day I was induced, I ended up having a c-section.  So trust me, I'm sure I could plead my case for a 'push present' even though my pregnancy was easy for the most part.  For  me, my present is that sweet baby girl!

Labor and Delivery

by Michelle in

It all began when I got a call from my doctor on a Wednesday that he wanted to induce me that Friday morning, 12 days early.  After being on bedrest for a few weeks, I have very excited to hear this.  My amazing husband purchased the greatest book, 'The Best Birth: Your Guide to the Safest, Healthiest, Most Satisfying Labor and Delivery', to help us prepare for the big day since we were not able to attend the Child Birth Class that we originally signed up for.  We managed to finish the book before the big day and packed it in our bags in case we needed to reference it.  So the big day finally came and I was ready, and a tad nervous at the same time.  Once our room was ready for us, we got settled in and I got hooked up to all sorts of stuff.  Contractions were coming and going and eventually I was experiencing what I had read and heard about, back labor.  I tried to deal with it as long as I could and finally I gave in and had the epidural.  When I say that I finally gave in and got the epidural, I'm not trying to imply that I was planning to go all natural with the birth, I was just hoping to be further along.  The epidural procedure was an event in itself.  The anesthesiologist stuck me in one spot, couldn't get that spot to work, tried another spot further up, that one didn't work, and finally went back to the first spot and we finally had success!  For those that wonder, no there is really no pain and I'm sure my complication was due to the back labor pains I was dealing with.  In the book, we read where some women started to progress a little quicker after the epidural and that seems to be what happened with me since the next status check was near go time!  Finally it came time to start pushing and I was not totally freaking out.  I was actually zoned in and ready to see my baby girl.  My husband was there by my side and coaching me every step of the way.  For about an hour and a half, I was pushing during each contraction.  The doctor came in to check and said that I can either push for another hour, or I can have a c-section.  I decided to push for another hour with no more process, so it was c-section time.  This is where I began to freak out.  Crazy thing is, I have always joked about just having a c-section since it's over an done with so quickly, compared to 2 1/2 hours of pushing.  I guess it was the fact that I have never been "under the knife".  Once I was inside the OR, they administered the anesthesia and after 2 checks on what I could feel, they had to "snow" me in order to do the c-section.  Man was I on a trip!  I did get a quick view of my husband holding baby girl before he had to take her to the nursery.  Even though my husband and I had decided that he would stay by my side after the c-section, due to me being "snowed", the nurse talked him into going with baby girl to the nursery and I don't blame them for suggesting that.  After I was done in the OR, I was taken to recovery and then finally back to our room where my husband and I got to have some time together and I got to finally hold our baby girl, Penelope Autumn.  What a precious little girl we have.

How many babies are we having?

by Michelle in

Today was our first official baby appointment and thanks to my mother-in-law, she managed to talk to my doctor about having an ultrasound done today at our appointment.  First we began all the paperwork fun and have tons of things to read and fill out.  I’m a bit overwhelmed at what all we received.  Next we went to the ultrasound lab and I am happy to report there is only one baby forming inside me, so no more worrying about getting double the number of items and figuring out where to put two cribs.  Since the ultrasound has ruled out two of the 3 reasons for a high HCG level, the assumption moves to me being further along in my pregnancy than what the magic wheel says.  In that case, if there happens to be a contest regarding when I will actually give birth, you might want to go with before September, 21st!  In not so fun news, the original plan at my last appointment was to get enough blood for my prenatal tests so that I didn’t have to go through the whole blood drawing fun.  Well, that didn’t happen, so I got to have that fun all over again.  Thankfully the husband was there by my side again.

Blood Work Results

by Michelle in

The results of the blood work are in and my HCG level is high for where I am at in my pregnancy.  Since I like to read and know everything about pregnancy these days, I know that this can mean 1 of 3 things:

  1. Miscalculation of due date
  2. Molar pregnancy
  3. Multiple pregnancy

With these things in mind, my nurse and mother-in-law are hoping for twins.  I have always wanted boy/girl twins, but if there are more than two babies forming inside me, I’m not too sure about this.  It does kind of freak me out over the possibility of needing double of everything and trying to figure out where TWO cribs are going in the baby room.  Oh well, I guess we will have to wait until an ultrasound to know what's going on inside me.

Blood Work

by Michelle in

Over the weekend, I started to experience some spotting and since I’m the queen of self-diagnosing myself and searching Google for answers, I was not concerned until the spotting when from brown to red.  My apologies if that was on the TMI side of things but get used to it because I’m sure it will get worse!  For the past week, I have been a roller coaster of emotions.  Yes I am excited to be having a baby and this is something that both the husband and I have discussed and a goal that I had been working towards as part of my weight loss efforts.  Things are just happening so quickly for us.  Shouldn’t we be trying for several months before getting a positive result?  I guess we are one of those lucky couples and we are embracing how lucky we are.  So, after sending my mother-in-law panic text messages regarding the spotting, she got me set up with an appointment for blood work first thing this morning.  From what I can recall, I have only had blood drawn once in my life, so the husband tagged along with me for support.  The two nurses that had to deal with me did great and in no time had the blood that they needed.  According to the husband, I did some good squeezing of his hand, which I thought was not hard at all.  I can only imagine how hard I will be squeezing his hand once I’m giving birth!

I'm Pregnant!

by Michelle in

My husband and I are excited to announce that we will be joining the world of parenthood!  Last April, I finally got serious and worked towards the goal weight that I had set for when I wanted to start trying for a family.  I reached that goal weight just days before my husband and I left for our amazing Christmas Vacation in Sweden.  As you can tell by the date of this post, we brought back a souvenir from this trip that will be changing our lives in September.

Also, this is not the actual photo from the test I took.